Academy Week Hours
(Unless noted as optional, the following are required activities during the Academy week)
I. REQUIRED ACTIVITIES
July 5 – July 10
Pre-Academy Zoom Training Webinar (1 Hour Credit)
July 11 (Sunday)
Opening Performance and Content Area Orientation Session (2 Hours Credit)
July 12 - July 16 (Monday through Friday)
• Two Daily Morning Core Classes (2.5 Hours X 5 Days = 12.5 Hours Credit)
9:00-10:15 AM and 10:30-11:45 AM
• One Daily Offering of Musings or Performances (1 Hour X Days = 5 Hours Credit)
1:00 -2:00 PM
• One Interlude Each Day During the Academy Week (Five 30-minute Interludes Required During the Week = 2.5 Hours Credit)
(A minimum of one Interlude per day is required. Participants can do as many Interludes beyond five as desired in order to achieve additional hours)
3:00-4:00 PM (A One Hour Session counts for 2 Interludes)
July 14 (Wednesday)
• An Evening with Stephen Sondheim and Friend, hosted by Aaron Lazar: Honoring America's Arts Teachers! (1.5 Hours Credit)
July 23, 2021 (Friday)
• Final Wrap-up Day Session (3 Hours Credit)
View the 2021 Professional, Best of the Best and Connections Virtual Art Exhibition Videos on Your Own (30 Minutes Credit) The 3 videos are approximately 10 minutes each for a total of 30 minutes viewing time.
Total of 28 Hours
II. OPTIONAL ACTIVITIES TO ACHIEVE THE TAA CERTIFICATE
By completing the required minimum classes and activities during the Academy week (as outlined above), you will receive 28 hours of credit. To gain the Tennessee Department of Education certification certificate, you will need an additional 8 credit hours in order to bring your total to 36 hours of Academy credit. Participants may choose to complete the remaining 8 hours needed to gain the certificate in a variety of ways. You may achieve the points quickly during the TAA week or work leisurely during the two-week post-Academy period.
Here are several ways to receive the additional 8 hours needed to gain the State of Tennessee certificate:
• Attend additional Interludes over and above the five 30-minute Interludes that are required. If you attend the one required 30-minute Interlude each day, you have the opportunity to take another 1.5 hours each day for a total of 7.5 additional Interlude hours over the course of the Academy week.
• Watch/Listen to Performances/Museum Tours/Documentaries posted in the TAA Resources Section on the TAA virtual site.
• Find and watch/listen to programming suggested by TAA faculty; find and watch/listen to similar programming you are able to find on your own. (Up to a maximum of 2 Hours Credit)
• Watch TAA Archived Musing Sessions. Each Musing is one hour long.
• Attend an Optional Networking & Collaboration Session on July 21, 2021. (1 Hour Credit)
• Complete Individual Project Work as assigned by TAA faculty. (Up to a maximum of 2 Hours Credit)
All extra and optional hours earned during the Academy week help reduce the total hours needed during the post-Academy week period. For example, if you attend ten Interludes during the week of the Academy rather than the required five, you will earn an additional two and one-half hours (30 minutes x 5 Interludes = 2.5 hours). NOTE: A full one-hour Interlude counts as two 30-minute Interlude sessions. Attending extra Interludes will reduce the number of hours you need to complete during the Post-Academy period.
III. MAKE-UP ACTIVITIES FOR REQUIRED HOURS
If you miss any of the required activities during the Academy (July 11-23), you may make those up to a maximum of 5 hours by doing additional optional activities as described above. Make-up hours for a missed core session are limited and have specific guidelines. All make-up hours must be approved in advance and in writing by your Content Director.
STATE OF TENNESSEE CERTIFICATE AND TAA LETTER OF COMPLETION
• Participants will have until July 31, 2021 to complete all of their hours in order to receive the full 36-hour certification credit. Those participants who attain 36 hours will receive the Tennessee Department of Education Certificate, signed by the Governor and the Commissioner of Education. It indicates successful completion of the full TAA curriculum and your eligibility to receive 36 hours of credit (professional development points - PDPs) for certification or renewal. The certificate also validates 14 hours of TASL credit for administrators.
• Participants who do not complete the 36 hours, but who have at least the required 28 hours, will be given a letter on TAA letterhead indicating the number of hours successfully completed. The letter will be signed by the TAA Executive Director. This letter may be submitted to your school system for professional development credit.
• Participants who are unable to meet the 28-hour required minimum threshold are not eligible for a letter or certificate.
• The Final Evaluation and Credit Hours form will be available beginning on July 23rd at 1 PM. This is the form that you will complete that will let TAA know how many hours you completed.
• TAA has created a Credit Hours Work Sheet to help you keep track of your hours throughout the week of the Academy. This Work Sheet is for your use only and will not be turned into the TAA office. It is an optional tool and it is your choice to use it or not. Click here to download the Work Sheet.
• If you have questions, please feel free to email (email@example.com) or call (615-460-5451) the TAA office. Staff members will be glad to assist you.